Sunday, May 18, 2008

Graduation

Yesterday was my brother's graduation and today was mine. I found it fascinating that at both ceremonies the school's chaplain/reverend/religious person were females who tried to encompass all beliefs into their prayers. One of them prayed to the "God of many names," the other one prayed to "the spirit of wisdom that guides us all." I didn't get the feeling she was referring to the Holy Spirit. One of the prayers got so confusing that I was wasn't sure who she was praying to. While I can't be certain, I have a feeling that not too many years ago, those prayers would've (without question) been address to the God of the Bible, not some entity that fits everyone's wants and needs.

2 comments:

Lydee said...

good gracious! :-0

Anonymous said...

We should also include one of the male speakers who added "may the force go with you." YIPES - where are we headed? Never mind it is not the destination I am longing for.

Friendly Teaching Assistant