Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Silence & Solitude

Was so blessed to come home today after school and enjoy just how quiet our apartment was. I guess this may sound a bit strange coming from a music teacher, but if you know me well, it is not strange at all. The Lord taught me just how wonderful silence can be the two summers I worked at the monastery. Just to be still and open to hear the Lord's still, small voice.

When Elijah spoke with the Lord after his showdown with the false prophets, the Lord was not to be found in the hustle, bustle, and noise, but in the stillness:

(1 Kings 19:11-13) And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the LORD. And, behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and broke in pieces the rocks before the LORD; but the LORD was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the LORD was not in the earthquake: (12) And after the earthquake a fire; but the LORD was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice. (13) And it was so, when Elijah heard it, that he wrapped his face in his mantle, and went out, and stood in the entering in of the cave. And, behold, there came a voice unto him, and said, What doest thou here, Elijah?

How do you explain the fellowship and worship that takes place in the quiet? The refreshing, restoring, and renewing that takes place when we are still before the Lord? How awesome that we have a Creator who knows the depths of our beings and longs to be intimately connected and in fellowship with each one of us. How could we ever pass up an offer to know the One who made us, fashioned us in the secret place?

"In the quiet, of my soul
In the stillness, I hear your voice call
And I am overwhelmed,
And I am lost for words,
To describe You.

Jesus you're more than a friend
Jesus You’re more than my heart could ever express
Your love and Your grace never fail me
Your merciful touch always heals me
You bring joy to my soul"
-Jeremy Riddle

1 comment:

Martha said...

How difficult it can be to find that time of stillness and yet we need it so much! (I was just reading this passage the other day. Do you think the Lord is trying to tell me something?)

PS It was nice to see a new name on my blog.