Sunday, July 25, 2010

Grill Fail #2

So grilling is not my greatest skill that I've ever tried to develop. The first time my brother and I broke out the charcoal grill this year, we forgot to pile the charcoal into a pyramid before trying to light the stack. We did not get a roaring fire. In fact, it took forever to cook the meat. Today was try #2. I remembered to stack the bricks and then proceeded to go through almost a whole box of matches trying to start the fire. At which point my brother came out and doused the whole thing with lighter fluid (note: the bricks came with fluid already on them). It burned for awhile, I went inside to prep the meat and veggies. My brother turned away from the fire and it promptly went out. A few more matches later we gave up and went to plan B: fry pans.

I'm sure the little old lady next door got a kick watching us out her window. I'm also thinking there is something wrong with our charcoal and perhaps buying a new bag would be a wise idea. It was from last year...and did sit out in the rotting garage all winter and spring. Maybe it got wet. Very possible since every time I mow I have to pick up pieces of rotting wood that have come off of the garage. But that's for another post...

3 comments:

Martha said...

We finally bought a gas grill, but they are not without issues of their own. The propane tends to run out at the most inopportune moments and, you know, gas grills have these cute little ceramic bricks that fall apart and need to be replaced every so often otherwise the heat is not dispersed properly. No wonder tired moms and working women prefer a fry pan.

Martha said...

I do however appreciate my darling who likes to cook on the grill. Tastes so much better.

Lydee said...

look for a chimney starter at the store. it should make lighting easier.