Monday, July 9, 2007

Mozart


It amazes me how in a time and age when travel was slow and often times dangerous, so many 18th century composers (and especially Mozart) traveled all over Europe. During his 11 years of touring as a child prodigy, Mozart traveled literally all over Europe (1762-1763).

In the age of travel and technology that we currently live in, (with the exception of going to Canada) I have not left the United States.

Granted Europe is smaller than the US, but there still seems to be something strange about this comparison!

3 comments:

Martha said...

Is Canada another country? Just joking, of course. How about New Mexico? I've been there and you wouldn't believe how many people think that's leaving the country. I have never travelled abroad either, but don't have much desire to.

Lydee said...

It is amazing when you think of it! ¥es, the last email I got from you was about facebook. Try calling my cell this week, you'll probably have a better chance of getting me.

Anonymous said...

It is amazing the ground that Mozart covered in his short life travel being what it was. Then again, I wouldn't compare pop stars to people. Comparing his itinerary to that of a young Michael Jackson would be more fair. I'm sure Jackson covered many times more territory, in spite of the fact that he could be seen on television and his recorded music purchased on vinyl or cassette.
What I wonder is how far fans would travel then to see Mozart perform. People today travel considerable distances to see shows. I wonder how those proportions have/haven't changed. Were there Wolf-heads?