Saturday, June 21, 2008

As Time Goes By

Spent most of the afternoon helping my grandmother sort through a large pile of calendars. She had saved her calendar for every year from 1977-last year. That's a lot of family history. When I reflect on all that was written on the calendars, it is fascinating to see the changes over the years and the different content. In 1977, my parents got married, my aunt was still in high school...the avon lady seemed to visit quite often. Unfortunately, my momentous birth didn't make an appearance on the 1979 calendar, but as the 80s rolled along and more grandchildren were added to the family, the calendars began to have things such as school vacations, babysitting gigs--various activities related to us grandkids. The funny thing about the calendars from the 80s is that every once in a while you'll come across kid handwriting surrounding that child's birthday, or a few funny things written here and there. The calendars from the 90s explode with many grandchildren related activities--concerts, sports events, dancing things--you name it and it was on the calendar. I noticed that the calendars even marked when I was going or coming home from college. And it wasn't just me, but for the others as well.
So...a person can definitely see where my grandparent's priorities were.

It was interesting to see things marked on the older calendars--events that I remember happening, but never had a date to attach them to as I was so young when they happened. It was definitely a bittersweet occasion. It was fun going through them with Grandma because we'd stop and chuckle over something, or try and figure out what certain mystery numbers were. It certainly is amazing how much a person's calendar can tell you about that person.

2 comments:

Lydee said...

love that post; it's really neat to reflect on old calendars, so much history.

Anonymous said...

This posting is "rich food" for family history publication! Her priorities are honorable. Thank the LORD that she was given the time to write all this down for thirty years!

Friendly Teaching Assistant