Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Led by the Spirit


A college friend's blog sparked something that I've been pondering for awhile: what to do about next year. Right now I'm teaching three days a week at the school where I've been for the past six years. Because I wasn't teaching at church anymore, earlier in the year I put in to "transfer" to a full time position within the district. At this point I haven't been offered a full time position, but so many music teachers are moving around that it is creating a chain reaction and the chances are good that I could be offered something. Meanwhile I have gotten a new part time job teaching strings at a Christian school in the area. They want me for two afternoons a week next year.

What to do? Part of me would like to wait out and see what I get offered in my current district. It would seem crazy from a worldly point of view not to take a full time job if it is offered. Even the other teachers at the Christian school have made it clear they think a person should take a full time job when it is offered. But I'm not fully convinced that that's what the Lord would have me to do in this case. You see, ever since Fredonia days I've had a vision for a Christian music program that has become stronger the longer I've been teaching. I built up a program at church, but it was made clear that it wasn't the Lord's plan for me to be there longer.

I long to help students develop their ability to worship through music. The Lord has given each person the amazing ability to worship Him through music. I firmly believe that everyone has the capability to learn how to sing in tune and create music. I truly believe that there is a call for people to learn how to worship in a congregational setting without being inhibited or worried about what others think.

The new Christian school where I'm at is far from perfect in many ways. In some ways it is far behind the public schools. But the Lord has birthed in me a heart to continue at the Christian school. I've begun to develop relationships and I'm interested to seeing what the principal's vision for the music program is. In the Bible, people who were led by the Spirit were often led to do things that make no sense to the observer. Knowing this, and after having done some "crazy things" myself, I still find it difficult to relinquish the idea of possibly going full time in my district. But I also see where a part time position in the Christian school could possibly lead to a full time position someday down the road.

So, here I am at the crossroads, just praying that the Lord would keep guiding me, and that I would have the grace and discernment to follow His will.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Daddy, please talk to Gina about this stuff and tell her what you'd like to do together in the next year. in Jesus' Name, Amen.

Lydee said...

hmmm...lots to think about.

those periods of not knowing the right thing to do can be so frustrating. eventually, it all works out and peace is restored.

Anonymous said...

I will be praying for clear vision from the Lord for your decision making. As we pray and ask him to remove all paths of deception, to hear His voice clearly, and to be filled to overflowing wiht His Spirit He will be faithful to answer. Put aside all doubt and fear (this is not from Him!) and TRUST HIM with all your heart.

He Has You Covered,
Friendly Teaching Assistant