Thursday, September 18, 2008

Progress: One Step at a Time

Sometimes I wonder if we undervalue the baby steps we take in our lives. Unpacking, for example. Obviously I can't unpack a house in one day or most likely even a week or two. So why do I fret when it seems to take me forever to get something done? When I moved in we still hadn't painted one of the two bedrooms, and as a result, everything that was going in the unpainted room was packed into the living room. I've been living here for a month now, but just tonight have I managed to clear the living room to the point where I can sit on the couch. Progress has been made! Sometimes it feels like I should shout from the roof tops when I actually complete a task that I haven't been able to get to in a long time.

Days like today remind me that our walks with the Lord are similar...one step at a time. We don't grow up over night, so why should I expect the Lord to take away all of my imperfections in the blink of an eye? Granted, we know that the Lord could do it, but instead He chooses to purify us in the fires of the ordinary, everyday circumstances we experience. I find this to be fascinating--that the trials I go through were specifically designed to purify me and mold me into His likeness. I guess that perhaps this is how Paul could rejoice in his sufferings. He tells us to rejoice in our trials. Lord, help me to have that attitude!!

No comments: