Monday, September 24, 2007

Passion and Purity.

So I have recently finished reading Elisabeth Elliot's Passion and Purity. While I've started reading many Christian type books over the past few years, this is the first one I've completed. A friend of mine and I have been both reading it and discussing it as we go, which has been a huge blessing. It amazes me how many things she talks about that I've thought about, but never heard anyone else verbalize. At one point towards the end of the book she talks about how "the custom of 'going steady' is another form that impatience takes" (p.153) and says that "unless a man is prepared to ask a woman to be his wife, what right has he to claim her exclusive attention?" Since college I've not been into the whole dating thing and have had a "wild" idea that it would be great to skip the dating phase and go straight from friendship to engagement. So it was pretty awesome to hear someone else echoing a similar thought.

No comments: